Thursday, February 7, 2013

Coheed and Cambria-The Afterman: Descension




I will start this off by saying I'm a huge fan of concept albums and progressive rock, so of course Coheed and Cambria is like a giant wet dream for me. This year marked the release of the second half of the Afterman two part album by Coheed and Cambria. While in 2012 they released The Afterman: Ascension part 1 they followed it up with Descension to continue the story in the world created by Claudio Sanchez.

For a little background Coheed and Cambria has recorded 7 Albums to date, and each album is a concept album based on a Science Fiction story created by singer/guitarist Claudio Sanchez. The first five follow the characters of Coheed and Cambria along with their son Claudio. The Afterman follows a different storyline with in the Amory Wars. Not included in this Claudio's solo project The Prize Fighter Inferno, following the same story from a different perspective.

To be honest you really don't need to know all of this to enjoy Coheed and Cambria's Music, but I have enjoyed reading the books and if you like graphic novels I suggest looking into them.

The Afterman: Descension has been one of my favorite albums by Coheed and Cambria, right next to In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth III. As with all albums this band has made, they do a very good job of mixing different styles of music and tempos very quickly. They have also had a repeating pattern of mixing violent topics with poppy and catchy choruses that get stuck in your head, along with constant "oh oh's" from the singer Claudio. The album starts off as the prior 6 have with an opening track containing some sort of ominous tone and a message to set the mood of the album. unlike they prior 6 this one also start the album off with singing. The second track of this album starts off with a heavier song a lot like Ascension did and it really grabbed my attention as having the same styles as their first 3 albums. The rest of songs take you on a ride mixing a little bit of everything they have experimented with in the last 6 albums as well as mixing in some new styles of music with it. while the end isn't nearly as grand as In Keeping Secret of Silent Earth III or Good Apollo I'm Burning Star number IV, it fit great and left me satisfied with the record overall.

 Descension has a very good flow to it and it makes it very easy to listen to. so much so it has replaced the rest of them in my car since it came out. I have heard Claudio's voice described as on of the most polarizing voices in progressive rock, and while at first that seems dumb I have constantly had to try and fight to get people to listen to them because they don't like Claudio's voice. I will say at first it took some time to grow on me I now love it and find it fits perfectly with this band. If you like Coheed and Cambria you will love this album, however if you don't, this is not a bad album to start on. You don't necessarily need to start off with the first one to follow with the story and if I could give any advice it would be listen to this once and wait a little while and pick it up again. I will give this album 4/5 and it will sit high on my list of favorite albums.


No comments:

Post a Comment